Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What I've Become



Author’s Note: This was actually the hardest response I have written. I had a lot of trouble finding a topic to write on. I was originally was going to do duality, but I decided against it because I wanted to be more original. But then, I just really thought writing a little something about duality would be so great, so I’m doing it. Through the pages of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde duality was a huge reoccurring theme. In the last chapter Jekyll goes into intimate thoughts of how he feels about the two sides of him. This inspired me to mimic his thoughts in a way, put his ideas into my own words.

I have no idea what’s happening to me. I have never felt this way before. It’s like my mind and my body are fighting in a battle to the death. My body wants so desperately to stay one, to keep the sense of unity that every individual needs. But my mind, it knows that the two sides can combine, it's one or the other. At some point in life, everyone has that moment of clashing within them. When the good and evil stand up to each other to see which one comes out on top. Whichever one does, determines that individual’s personality. A trickle of hope arises within me considering how many millions, even billions, of people have gone to the good side, but in the back of my head I consider the people that have gone the opposite way, to evil.
My mind has won. I can’t handle the polar opposite sides of my brain anymore. They need to be separated. The good wants to win, but the evil won’t go down easy. Just like two kids that don’t get along, I have to separate them. So I give in, I pick up the potion with shaking hands, trying to reassure myself that this is the right decision. Ready or not, here I go. I press the chilled flask against my lips and force the liquid down my throat.
All of a sudden I feel different. I don’t even know how to describe it, but something is off. I knew drinking the potion that it was a risk, I had no idea what to expect. Without any other ideas coming into mt brain, I walk over to the mirror hanging on the wall. With regretful eyes, I look up at my reflection, and don’t recognize it. A mere five minutes ago, I was a good looking, well-groomed man. Now what have I become? There is only one word I can use to describe what I see. Monster.



No comments:

Post a Comment