Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Addiction


Author’s Note: In the chapter, Henry Jekyll’s Full Statement of the Case, the author writes many descriptions of the way Jekyll feels about Hyde and Hyde feels about Jekyll. They were so well written and familiar, I was inspired to write a poem with the same style of writing.

I’ve never felt like this before.
Every force within me,
The good,
The evil,
The pure,
The innocence,
It’s all going toward one goal.
I need it,
Not want,
Need.

Like a stalking cloud,
Always hanging over me.
I muster up the courage to try towards the sun,
But every effort,
Shot down.
It’s incredible,
Like an internal organ,
It’s vital to life.

It’s a monster.
I’m afraid of it,
But I can’t let it go.
All it does is harm me,
I just can’t get enough.

I hoped this would never happen to me,
But it has…
I’m addicted.

1 comment:

  1. Leslie -
    I absolutely love this piece! The diction and rhythm was really facinating and I can tell you really struggled with this which I think made it all the more beautiful. The way you incorporated words of beauty and of evil was quite neat! Next time, you could even try having more of a structure. But again, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete